- 20 minutes after quitting, your blood pressure drops and the temperature of your hands and feet returns to normal.
- 8 hours after quitting, the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.
- 24 hours after quitting, your chance of a heart attack decreases.
- 2 to 3 months after quitting, your circulation improves and your lung function increases up to 30 percent.
- 1 to 9 months after quitting, your coughing and shortness of breath decrease.
- 1 year after quitting, your risk of heart disease is half that of a smoker’s.
- 5 years after quitting, your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker’s.
- 10 years after quitting, your lung cancer death rate is about half that of a smoker’s. Your risk of cancers of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney and pancreas also decreases.
- 15 years after quitting, your risk of heart disease is that of a nonsmoker’s.
Both smoking and vaping harm nearly every organ of the body, causing many diseases and affecting the health of smokers in general.
Make living smoke and vape-free your new normal. For free help quitting call the Nevada Tobacco Quitline at 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669)
Within 20 minutes of smoking your last cigarette, your body begins to repair itself. The healing process continues for years: